What We’re About
- Serving up great craft beer on tap.
- Bringing beer lovers together.
- Classy snacks to go with great beers.
- Growler fills and bottle off-sales.
- Talking about beer and mountain adventures.
Q&A WITH KENTON DONALDSON, CO-OWNER
Let’s get to know a little more about the Whitetooth Brewing Company.
You recently won a CBAC Gold and BCBA First Prize for your Truth, Dare, Consequences Nordic Imperial Stout. Which award were you most proud of? Where did that name come from?
What we were most proud of was winning the gold on the national scene, along with first place at the provincial level within 6 months of each other for the same beer – Truth, Dare Consequence (“TDC”). It was great recognition for that beer.
The beer was brewed to be a burly imperial stout and we needed an appropriate name. We decided to name it after the three double-black chutes (“Truth”, “Dare”, and “Consequence”) situated on Terminator Ridge at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort. These can be accessed by a 20 min boot-pack to the Terminator peak. When plugged with fresh snow, these steep, in-bound adjacent chutes offer some of the most exhilarating signature descents on the mountain.
Any new brewing techniques you’ve discovered or recipes you’re working on?
Evan Cronshaw, our head brewer has been experimenting with fermentation temperature and schedules that break away from what’s considered normal. To date, we’ve focused on hybrid interpretations of BJCP styles with Sacch yeasts.
What’s new on the horizon in terms of seasonals or new beers?
Our Directissima Dubbel re-releases on December 21, 2018 just in time for Christmas, and that will be followed in early February with the 2019 batch of Truth, Dare, Consequence Nordic Imperial Stout. We will likely roll out our Psychosis 7 DIPA after that. All of these beers are limited release with higher alcohol content, and are developing a cult-like following in our hometown of Golden, BC mainly because we have limited distribution.
We’ve initiated a rotating fruit beer series that will run under the name Jambrosia, and a rotating IPA series aptly named Surfin’ on Lupulin. These are beers served only in our tasting room to provide variety for our customers beyond our six core beers.
Any new collaborations?
- We are collaborating with White Frontier, a craft brewery located in Switzerland, for the Freeride World Tour event being held at Kicking Horse Mountain in Golden, BC in early February 2019. We are brewing a Brut IPA named DROP IN, which is the tour hashtag. Should be lots of fun hosting our Swiss brewer, and rubbing shoulders with extremely talented skiers and snowboarder athletes from around the world.
- We are also participating in a Kootenay region collaboration for VCBW with Nelson Brewing, Mt. Begbie Brewing and Fernie Brewing. Beer style yet to be determined. It will be fun to hang out with veteran BC breweries that began operations in BC decades ago. We are one of the newer breweries in the region and we are looking forward to participating.
Any other topic you’d care to highlight?
We celebrated our 2nd birthday on December 1, 2018. Time seems to be flying by at an rapid pace since our tasting room doors opened. In hindsight, you have to be slightly un-hinged to start and run a brewery but there can be tremendous satisfaction in doing so. Given our location in eastern BC, we frequently feel detached from the frenetic lower mainland craft beer scene, so we just try to do our own thing celebrating Golden’s mountain culture with our beers.
Beers To Toast Your Ultimate Moments
Inspired by the adventure that awaits in the mountains of Golden, BC
The room isn’t a big place.
We operate on a first come first served basis to be fair to everyone. We’re set up for you beer lovers to stop in, enjoy a drink or two or three. When you’re done you can take beer to go.
We’ve got some killer Growlers. Howlers and Bombers on offer. Not only are they super cool, the more times they’re refilled the better they are for the planet. Pick your vessel, we’ll fill it up and you’re set for years of refills. Stop by the tasting room and we’ll make sure you leave well stocked.
- Buy a Whitetooth Growler
- Or bring your own
Complement any adventure with your favourite beverages.